Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Hair*

I made a drastic decision last week by visiting a salon for a very short haircut.   As the hair expert did his work, I bid my long strands on the floor goodbye.

My new haircut stirred positive as well as negative response from my roommate, friends and classmates.  I just accepted their compliments and/or even violent reactions with grace.  The violent reactions of my friends were nothing compared to the feeling of liberation from the long hair image of almost eight years.

The feeling of liberation lingered until last night.  As I was browsing some old pictures, I realized that I miss my old hair.  I miss the long straight hair that I used to tie up with whatever available elastic bond on my study table.  Suddenly, I just wished my old hair to be where it used to be.   I started to bombard myself with the “if only” statements but such statements could not bring my long hair back.   The drastic hair cut, however, remained the same.

The only solution is to wait until it grows back to its original length.  Until then, I just have to live each day and enjoy the perks of my very short hair. 

*from my journal dated 12.20.07

2 comments:

  1. It should just be about "the hair", but I felt sad after reading this. Reading between the lines, I’m considering cutting my “long hair” and feel the liberation of a “short hair”. Thanks for sharing this nice note ma’am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pau! I guess it may not be a simple 'hair cut' for you. But hey, cheer up, okidoks? :)

    ReplyDelete